Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Chipotle Style Vegetarian Bowl (with sofritas)


When Chipotle, the restaurant, added the sofrita style tofu option I wasn't too sure I would like it. My husband always wants to try these kinds of additions so he got a veggie bowl with the sofritas, and when I tried it ... I loved it!  So here's my attempt to making the dish at home, hope you can try it and let me know what you think.


Serves 4-6

Mexican Spice Mix

  • ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
  • 2 teaspoons ground ancho or chipotle chile powder (adjust to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • ½ teaspoon ground coriander
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt

Sofritas:

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • ½ medium onion, diced small (about 1 cup)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon minced chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
  • 1 tablespoon diced mild Hatch chiles
  • 1 tablespoon Mexican Spice Mix
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 (16-ounce package) organic extra-firm tofu (Chipotle uses this one from the Bay Area), drained, dried well and crumbled
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • Fresh lime wedges, for serving




  1. Prepare the Mexican Spice Mix: Combine all the spices in an airtight container and blend well. I like to make a large batch and store in Mason jars to give as gifts.
  2. Prepare the Sofritas: Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat and warm the oil. Sauté the onion and garlic with a pinch of salt until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chipotle peppers, chiles, and Mexican Spice Mix, and continue cooking and stirring until the spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
  3. Add the tomato paste; cook another minute. Add the crumbled tofu and broth and cook until the liquid has reduced and the flavors have melded, about 5 minutes. 
  4. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired. 
  5. I made my bowl with: Sofritas, black beans, fajitas, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, cilantro lime rice, corn salsa, cheese, lettuce and fresh lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment