Monday, April 15, 2013

Mexican Bhel


I ate this dish at my sister-in-law's house and loved it the very first time I had itTraditionally, Bhelpuri is made from puffed rice and Sev. This recipe has the same concept but is made with a Mexican twist.
Instead of using puffed rice and sev I used a combination of pinto and black beans. I used the toppings that you find in tacos and burritos. 

This recipe will serve 3-4 people

Ingredients for the base: (this should be like a very thick stew)


  • 1 can of each Black & or Pinto beans
  • 1 small can of tomato sauce
  • 1 cup of Veggie Stock
  • 1 tbsp Taco Seasoning
  • 1 1/2 tsp each Onion and Garlic Powder
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Frying the Tortilla chips:

  • 4-5 Large flour tortillas 
  • Oil for shallow frying

Method: 

Cut the tortillas into small diamond shape and shallow fry them till they are browned and crispy.

Toppings:

  • 2 Tomatoes diced
  • 1 Onions diced
  • 1 Peppers diced
  • 1/2 Lettuce finely shredded (I used romaine)
  • 2 Cucumber diced (I used Persian)
  • Guacamole per taste
  • Salsa or Pico-de-gallo per taste
  • Fried Tortilla Chips for garnish
  • Mexican blend finely shredded cheese
  • Sour Cream

Method:

In a deep dish, place the base of beans first and then add toppings you like.
Enjoy:) 

1 comment: