Monday, June 17, 2013

Maru Bhajiya


Where do I start with this recipe? I can eat these any time of the day, it is that good! This is actually my Hubby's expertise - being from Nairobi, Kenya where this is a staple he grew up eating this Bhajiyas. Maru was the name of a restaurant in Nairobi,  that first made this crispy potato Bhajiyas that east Africans all over the world can't stop talking about. There were restaurants in Nairobi who specialized in just Maru bhajia. I ate these the very first time when I visited my Brother-in-law in Arizona.  Him and his Kenyan roommate fried up batch after batch and I kept finishing them up.  Since then I have been a big fan of this fried goodness. The secret of crispy bhajia is not adding any water. That's right, NO water in the batter.


This recipe will Serve 2 people (snack) - be warned - they ARE addictive!

Ingredients


  • Light tasting vegetable oil for frying
  • 2 large potatoes

For the batter

  • 1 1/2 cup chickpea (gram) flour
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 2 green chillies, crushed
  • 1 1/2inch ginger - peeled and grated
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • salt to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon chilli powder
  • 1/2 cup coriander - finely chopped (you can use methi leaves too)
  • water to soak the potatoes

Method

  1. Pour enough oil into a small frying pan to enable you to shallow fry the bhajia.
  2. Peel the potatoes and slice them very thinly. Soak them in cold water - the thinner the slices, the better (aim for 1 millimeter slices). Then drain them and lay them on a clean kitchen towel to absorb all the water.
  3. Put the potato slices in a big bowl, then put the besan flour, cilantro/methi, salt ginger, garlic, chilli paste over the potatoes.  put some lemon juice over this mixture then rub the mixture on each potato slice.  Don't add water because it will make the mixture runny. The lemon juice and salt will lead the potato sliced to release some water and this will aid in helping the batter stick to the potato slices.  If at first it seems too dry, wait a couple of minutes after mixing the ingredients.
  4. Check the heat of the oil by placing a drop of batter into the pan.  The batter should sizzle and rise to the surface. It is important to regulate the heat of the oil for the duration of the cooking time.
  5. Once the oil is hot enough, place a few slices (no more than 5 at a time - coat each slice with the batter) of potato in frying pan until crispy and golden brown. This will take 3-4 minutes per batch.
  6. Place the bhajias on a dish covered with a piece of kitchen towel and let the oil drain.
  7. Serve immediately with special tomato chutney - recipe below: 

Tomato Chutney:

  • 3 Tomatoes
  • 1 large Cucumber (peeled)
  • 1 large Carrot
  • Cilantro
  • 1-2 green Chilli (to taste)
  • Ghor (jaggery) (to taste)
  • Roasted Cumin (Jeeru) powder
  • Salt (to taste)

Method:

Cut the tomatoes, cucumber, carrots into small pieces for a food chopper.  Put all the ingredients in the chopper and run the chopper till everything is in a chutney consistency but coarse in texture

12 comments:

  1. I have been eating Mary bhajia since 1968.I don't think I ever tasted Jeera or Garlic in the bhajias.Infact I have tasted Cinnamon and Ginger.Maybe this is your own bhajia recipe. Please don't feel offended by my comments. Thank you. MOODY MUGHAL - KENYA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am never offended in any way! This is how my mother in law makes them and she has lived there for 50 some year. I m sure everyone has their own version to make these. I have learned it from her and I love the way she makes them and hence I was sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marru bhajia has become a style of bhajias rather than a reciepe.I am from Nairobi and had frequented marru in Nairobi as well as in Wembley and Leicester.I think it wasn't only their bhajias , the secret was their chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to thank you for sharing your recipe. Not many people like to share. You can always improvise and add what you want. Thank you again. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Then the slush restaurant at the esso petrol station near the Aga Khan hospital started making maru bhajia in the mid 70s, pretty good it was... and their tomoto chutney was fierce and we dubbed it as "shotgun...!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apart from their iconic tomato chutney, the original Maru's at River Road served bhajia, car service style, with kwajo (tamarind) and sikki....vvinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apart from their iconic tomato chutney, the original Maru's off River Road, served bhajia with kwajo (tamarind) and sikki...vinegar. they offered car service in those days as it was perfectly safe to park in those days

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice recipe. I have tried your recipe yesterday and my husband loved it. Thank you, keep sharing wonderful recipes.
    Can I use coconut oil for this recipe which I have extracted at home using Oil Maker Machine ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This recipe is missing flavor and water consistency

    ReplyDelete