Monday, January 21, 2013

Paneer Methi Malai


Growing up, Methi (Fenugreek) was used in my diet quite a lot. This is the dish I make over and over again. Its one you can never go wrong with. It taste as good as it looks! If you like methi, then this is a dish you must try. 

Ingredients:


  • 1 cup, or more, methi (fenugreek) leaves - washed and chopped
  • 1 standard block of Paneer - cut into cubes
  • 1 small onion - chopped finely
  • 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1-2 tbsp cashew nuts paste (mix cashew powder with a bit of milk and puree)
  • 1 tbsp ghee or butter
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 small can of tomato puree
  • 1 tsp crushed black pepper
  • 1 tsp tandoori masala
  • 1 tsp red chili powder
  • 1 tsp garam Masala
  • 1/2 tsp haldi powder
  • salt - to taste
  • Cilantro for garnishing
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar (optional)

Method:


  • Lightly coat the paneer cubes with some corn starch.  Shallow fry the paneer cubes till they are very light brown on all sides, place them aside.
  • In a pan, heat up some oil add cumin. After that starts to crackle, add onion and ginger-garlic paste, fry till onions are translucent. You can add the brown sugar and salt at this point. 
  • Add the cashew paste and cook for a minute or two. 
  • Add the tomato puree with all the masala, stir until everything is incorporated (just about half a minute or so).
  • Add the chopped methi and stir until the methi has wilted.
  • Add the paneer cubes and the heavy cream.  Mix and let it come to a boil.
  • The dish should have a thick, gravy like consistency, like any other Punjabi gravy.
  • Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
  • Serve with naan or jeera rice.

4 comments:

  1. I have made this recipe time and time again! I love the combination of Methi and Paneer so this recipe is definitely a hit with me and my family! A great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again thank you for the feed back and i am glad that you are enjoying my recipes and trying them out. I will keep them coming.

      Delete
  2. We love this recipe! I was actually licking my fingers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked it so much. Hope you can try out many more recipes to give me feed back.

      Delete