Monday, May 6, 2013

Carrot Rice


I love learning & exploring different cuisines. I had this rice dish at my friends house, who can make any rice dish extra gourmet by adding her spin to it. I tried making it at home and I was able to develop the same flavors as hers and here I am, sharing the recipe. I love the spices that are used in making this rice and carrots add natural sweetness to the dish.

This recipe will serve 2-3 people.


Ingredients:

  • 1 Cup Basmati rice
  • 4-5 Carrots, shredded
  • 1 Red onion
  • 2 Serrano chillies
  • 1 1/2 tbsp of ginger & garlic paste
  • 2 tbsp ghee
  • 4-5 cloves
  • 1-2 Star anise
  • 1 Stick of cinnamon
  • 2-3 Cardamom pods
  • Palm full of  fresh mint leaves, cashew nuts & raisins to Garnish
  • Salt to taste

Method: 

  1. Fluff the cooked rice with a fork to separate the grains.
  2. Heat ghee in a pan and add all the spices from the ingredients list.
  3. When they crackle, add onions and saute until they caramelize.
  4. To that, add ginger & garlic paste and cook for another 2 minutes.
  5. Add carrot and salt and saute until the carrots are cooked. 
  6. Remove from flame. If you like it crunchy then remove from flame when half done.
  7. Add the cooked rice to the mixture. Carefully mix the rice so that it doesn't turn mushy.
  8. Add mint leaves, cashews & raisins and give it a good mix.
  9. Serve along with raita and gravy of your choice.

2 comments:

  1. love all of your rice reciepes...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Manisha! I will keep them coming

      Delete